The award of a Gates Cambridge Scholarship provides excellent opportunities for personal intellectual development, living and working alongside other similarly outstanding students from the UK and from many other countries.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are full-cost awards for graduate study and research in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. A small number are also available for study towards a second undergraduate degree.
Host Institution: University of Cambridge, UK (Course starts October 2013)
Field of study: Any field of study offered at the University
Number of Awards: The Trust seeks to elect approximately 100 new Gates Scholars annually (although the exact number of awards may change from year to year). Approximately 40 of the 100 new scholarships each year will be awarded to US citizens.
Target group: The scholarships are highly competitive and are awarded to citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom.
Scholarship value/inclusions: A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge, namely:
• The University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate
• A maintenance allowance for a single student (£13,000 for 12 months at the current 2012-2013 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
• the cost of the most economical airfare from the scholar’s normal country of residence to the UK at the beginning of their course and the cost of the most economical airfare from the UK to the scholar’s normal country of residence at the end of the course
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis such as family allowance, conference attendance, fieldwork allowance, some fourth year funding for PhD scholars and hardship funding.
Eligibility: You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
• A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
• Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
• Already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
• Already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, short listing and interviewing as all other candidates.
Scholarship criteria: Scholarships are awarded on the basis of the candidate’s academic excellence, a good fit between the Scholar and the University of Cambridge, evidence of leadership potential and a commitment to improving the lives of others.
Application instructions: Applications open early September annually.
Deadline: The deadline for applications is 4 December 2012 for citizens other than the US and 16 October 2012 for US citizens.