The Finnish Government offers scholarships of 3-9 months for Doctoral level studies and research at Finnish universities. The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme is open to young researchers from all academic fields. The scholarship cannot be applied for Master’s level studies or post-Doctoral studies/research.
Who can apply?
The scholarships are based mainly on cultural agreements or similar arrangements between Finland and the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Mongolia, Namibia, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
* have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying (see section ‘Doctoral Admissions’)
* have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project
* have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying
* intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a higher education institution or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies
* not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland
* be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research*
* be a national of one of the eligible countries listed above
What does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship includes: a monthly allowance of EUR 1200. The allowance is sufficient for one person only.
How and when to apply
Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country. For information on the appropriate authority in your country, please see the listing of countries and authorities to contact.
The announcements for the opening of the annual application round are usually sent out from CIMO at the end of September annually. The applicants may then contact the scholarship authorities in their home country for information on the national deadline for submitting the application documents.
The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool. The deadline set by CIMO for the nomination of scholarship candidates by the national authorities is 28 February each year. An applicant should check the application deadline set by the authorities in his or her country since it may be earlier.
Scholarship decisions announced by June annually
CIMO will inform both successful and unsuccessful candidates of the results by June annually.
NB: If you are among the scholarship candidates selected by the appropriate contact authorities in your home country (in other words, if your scholarship application has been forwarded to CIMO) but you have not for some reason received a decision letter from CIMO by mid-June, please contact us.
Further Information: http://www.studyinfinland.fi/tuition_and_scholarships/cimo_scholarships/finnish_government_scholarship_pool