Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships are offered by the Wenner-Gren Foundation for International Students in the field of Anthropology in USA 2013
About Scholarship: Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships support the writing-up of already completed research. The fellowship is awarded to scholars in the earlier stages of their careers, when they frequently lack the time and resources to develop their research for publication. Scholars with a Ph.D. in hand for no more than ten years (from the application deadline) are eligible to apply. A maximum of eight Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded annually.
Study Subject: Anthropology
Course Level: Postdoctoral
Scholarship By: Wenner-Gren Foundation
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. or equivalent at the time of application.
- Applicants must have received a Ph.D. or equivalent within ten years of the application deadline.
- Qualified scholars are eligible without regard to nationality, institutional, or departmental affiliation although preference is given to applicants who are untenured or do not yet have a permanent academic position.
- The Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowship is to support a continuous period of full-time academic writing. The research that forms the basis of the writing project is expected to be completed at the time of application. In special circumstances and with prior approval of the Foundation, recipients may use part of their stipend for a minor research component if necessary to complete their proposed publication/s. No research funds in addition to the basic stipend are available as part of the Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- The fellowship may be used to support the preparation of a book or monograph manuscript, journal articles, book chapters, or a combination of these forms of publication.
- The Foundation cannot accept an application from a prior grantee unless all requirements of a previous grant have been completed. Please contact the Foundation for more information if this situation applies.
- Prior recipients of Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships are not eligible to apply for a second fellowship for a different writing project.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Yes
Number of awards: Eight
Duration: Twelve Months
Cover: Provide US $40,000 of financial support for twelve months of continuous full-time writing. Applicants requesting shorter time periods will receive a pro-rated award as appropriate (e.g., a six-month project would be awarded $20,000)
Selection Criteria: As with all Wenner-Gren awards, the main criteria of evaluation are the quality of the research and its potential contribution to anthropological knowledge, theory, and debate.The Foundation pays particular attention to the feasibility of the writing project. It is important to have realistic goals in relation to the amount of writing that you will be able to achieve within the time period of the fellowship.The Foundation is interested in funding proposals where there is a reasonable probability that the published outcome will have a significant and broad-ranging effect on the field of anthropology. It is important to make such a case for your work. Proposals with a narrow regional or topical focus are normally not competitive.
Notifications: Applicants will be notified within 6-8 months of the original application deadline. Approximately 33% of Stage Two applications are successful.
Deadline: 1 November 2013
Further Information: http://www.wennergren.org/programs/hunt-postdoctoral-fellowships