The James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation offers $24,000 James Madison Graduate Fellowships to individuals desiring to become outstanding teachers of the American Constitution at the secondary school level. Fellowship applicants compete only against other applicants from the states of their legal residence. Generally, one Fellowship per state is awarded each year.
The Foundation offers two types of fellowships:
* Junior Fellowships are awarded to outstanding college seniors and college graduates without teaching experience who intend to become secondary school teachers of American history, American government, or social studies in grades 7–12. Junior Fellows are expected to complete graduate study within 2 academic years of full-time study.
* Senior Fellowships are awarded to outstanding current teachers who are required to complete graduate study within 5 calendar years of part-time study.
Fields of study: Education
Location: James Madison University
Eligibility: Fellowship applicants compete only against other applicants from the states of their legal residence. To be eligible to apply for a fellowship, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national. Be a teacher, or plan to become a teacher, of American history, American government, or social studies at the secondary school level (grades 7–12).
- Possess a bachelor’s degree or plan to receive a bachelor’s degree no later than August 31 of the year in which you are applying.
- Wait at least three years from the time that any previous graduate degree was awarded before applying for a James Madison Fellowship.
Duration: Up to 2 years
Award: The maximum amount of each award is $24,000, prorated over the period of study, and in no case shall the award exceed $12,000 for one academic year of study. Normally, Fellows receive less than these maximum amounts. Payments are made only for the actual costs of tuition, required fees, and books (as well as room and board if required to live away from your principal residence), and are made only for the minimum number of credits required for the award of the degree for which a Fellow is registered.
Deadline: March 1, 2013
Apply: Please visit the page for more information on the application process: http://www.jamesmadison.com/
Application: Click here to access online application: http://www.act.org/madison/