The purpose of the NABE Eva Helwing Memorial Scholarship is to provide support to university students pursuing a career in bilingual education. Eva Helwing was an advocate for dual language and a groundbreaker in developing today’s popular dual language programs at many schools in Chicago. She was the first principal of the Inter-American Magnet School in Chicago, which she led from 1985 to 2005. The applications will be reviewed by the NABE Board. The scholarship award will be announced during the annual NABE conference.
Deadline: October 15, 2012
Award Notifications: January 15, 2013
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Be current members of NABE or submit the membership application and fee along with the scholarship application.
- Have full proficiency in English and one other language that is used as a medium of instruction and/or that is the primary language of students in the public schools.
- Be enrolled in a college/university with a declared major leading to a teaching credential in bilingual education
- Be committed to pursuing a career in serving bilingual, dual language, and/or multilingual children
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA at the time of application for the scholarship
Location: Any accredited college or university in the United States.
Fields of study: Bilingual Education
Apply: Please download the PDF file for more information on the application process. (http://nabe.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/Forms/Eva%20Helwing%20Application%205-30-12.pdf)
Application: Click here to download the application PDF.