1. To develop a strong core of Singaporeans to anchor strategic sectors, the Ministry of Education (MOE) working together with the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) and other government agencies, have launched the Singapore-Industry Scholarship (SgIS). This was announced by the Minister for Education, Mr Heng Swee Keat, at the ST Aerospace groundbreaking ceremony.
2. This new initiative represents a unique partnership between the Singapore Government and prominent Singapore enterprises and organisations to offer scholarships for Singapore Citizens to pursue their undergraduate studies at a local autonomous university or the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). In this first year, one hundred new scholarships will be offered, available across 28 participating organisations in industries such as Engineering, Electronics, Energy, Tourism, Info-Communications, Consumer Business, Healthcare, and Social Services. The number of partners and scholarships are expected to grow over time.
3. ST Engineering is one of the organisations offering these new scholarships. Mr Tan Pheng Hock, President and CEO, ST Engineering, stresses the importance of grooming talents early to ensure the success of an organisation. “We see a need to build up a pool of Singaporean talent which not only has a keen interest in engineering but also understands our local environment and culture. The SgIS is an excellent avenue for us to reach out to our young talent early and give them industry-relevant skills.”
4. Singapore Citizens beginning their undergraduate studies at a local autonomous university or the Singapore Institute of Technology in 2012 are eligible to apply for the SgIS. Successful applicants will get a career head start in an industry of their choice, and be placed under the direct guidance of some of the best mentors in their respective industries. During their undergraduate studies, scholars can look forward to internship opportunities and professional development programmes with their chosen organisation. Upon graduation, they will embark on a career to develop their potential and contribute to their sponsoring organization and industry. Scholars are required to serve a four-year bond with the sponsoring orgranisation upon graduation.
5. The SgIS is tenable at the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), SMU, Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), and SIT.
6. Online scholarship application is now open and will close on 1 April 2012. Interested applicants can find more details at the scholarship website.
7. Please refer to the following annexes for more information:
Annex: Details of the SgIS
Annex-1: List of supporting government agencies
Annex-2: List of sponsoring organisations